Wednesday, March 28, 2007

contextualizing our lives

I was reading a modern translation of the book of Daniel the other day. I came across a sentence that caught my attention.

"In every way that is unimportant, let them make us Chaldeans."


Daniel was removed (enslaved) from Palestine and brought into Babylon, a foreign land with many different customs. These people were often referred to as Chaldeans. Daniel chose to become like them in all ways that are unimportant. Thus, they had no trouble with name changes.

And yet I have a question for Daniel. How did he determine what issues are considered "unimportant?"

We learn early on in the book that food and wine were a big issues for him and his friends. He refused to eat the royal food or wine. Why was this a big deal to Daniel? Was this purely a conscience issue based on food sacrificed to idols?

This cannot be the case since 1) that'll be reading a New Testament problem into the Old Testament and 2) he refrained from drinking wine too, which neither the Old Testament nor New Testament prohibits.

It seems that sharing food at ones table was a sign of friendship. Daniel wanted it to be clear that he was no friend of the king. The implications of this principle are a bit interesting.

Is it acceptable for someone to use a four-letter word in an environment where four-letter words are common as long as one refrains from entering into friendships with non-Christian people who use four-letter words?

Basically, should we determine the unimportant aspects of our lives by the relationship they create between us and the people of the world? Can I be best-friends with a drug dealer?

Does James 5:4, "friendship with the world is hatred toward God," mean anything in this discussion?

What is "unimportant?"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey J, Regarding the friendship with those involved in ungodly things, I think we are to proceed with caution with the awareness that the company we keep influences us. See. I Cor. 15:33. We all should be developing relationships with those outside the faith to a degree but at a different level than we would with other godly believers. We all have individual weak areas, which we need to be cognisant of when entering into these friendships.

Jose said...

Joe You have good questions!
I found interesting the comment about the for letter words. Base on what you said about Daniel he refuse to drink because he didn't wanted the king's friendship. I have friend that used the four letter word (in Spanish :) )all the time and the way that I learned to deal with this is that I would not use the same words that they did. We were friends but I will not use their words and I will not participate in some activities.This became clear to them that I was different and I was able to talk to them about God. Sometimes well received but not always. I kept their friendships as long they wanted.
I think when God talks about not being friends with the world is not referring to the people itself but their actions and behavior.
And last to answer your question. I would say no to best friends to someone that it's not a believer (drug dealer)not because he's a sinner but because of the implications of a best friend implies. I would be his friend but not best friend. Ok enough writing for me today. Take Care Joe

Anonymous said...

Hey Joe, I love your blog, good questions! Just to throw another cog in the wheel, what if we (as Christians) brought non-Christians to our activities instead of us going to their "parties." We come in contact with the world through work, school, etc (living in the world and not of it)...now we need to bring them towards us with Christ's love and abstain from all wordly activities or functions. Holy, set apart, different. Just a quick thought. :)

Anonymous said...

my thought is that daniel determined the "unimportant" through knowing God's law, yes? The Word is the only measure we have of what is sinful behavior.

so, given that we are held accountable to the law and will sit in the judgment seat before the Lord one day, I don't think it's acceptable to use a four-letter word to relate to those around. not to mention, isn't our yes to be yes, and our no to be no?
The bible also warns against using that type of speech, yes?
being friends with the world isn't our only concern, it's the light or example we are setting for the world, right?
To conclude, "unimportant" is determined by what is sinful, and that is determined by what God has revealed to us in His Word (both OT and NT), which is true, infallibale, sufficient and inerrant.
What does that look like? I think the previous posts have some applicable examples to our culture...I Cor.15:33; being in the world and not of it, etc. We don't need to compromise God's standard of holiness and what is just in order to be relevant.