Monday, March 26, 2007

all sins not equal

I heard someone say something like, "All sins are the same in God's eyes." I assume they say this in order to 1) encourage those who are broken from their sins that God doesn't play favorites and 2) humble those who take pride in their perceived holiness.

Unfortunately, I fear that this statement is wrong. Even though the conclusion is good I think the premise is poor. It is correct to say that all sins separate us from God. But all sins are NOT the same in God's eyes.

Jesus says to Pilate referring to Caiaphas, "You have no authority over Me, unless it had been given you from above; for this reason he [Caiaphas] who delivered Me to You has the greater sin." (John 19:11)

As High Priest, Caiaphas should have known better than to deliver his Messiah over to death. It's as Jesus says, "[the] slave who knew his master's will and did not get ready or act in accord with his will, will receive many lashes..." (Luke 12:47) As compared to the few lashes received by the ignorant slave.

I think this false principle stems from a misunderstanding of the doctrine of sin. All sin separates us from God. (see Romans 3:23) This is very true! But that doesn't necessarily mean that all sin is the same. We can see this just by looking at the various consequences of our sin. The unfortunate reality is that some sins have greater consequences than others. So also some sins are greater than others in God's eyes. God doesn't see a murderer and a thief the same even though both sins separate them from God for eternity.

And yet we must preach that God doesn't play favorites. Our good works done in unrighteousness are filthy rags to God. If one wants to encourage those who are broken from their sins that God is full of grace towards all people no matter the magnitude of their sin, then I recommend taking them to Ephesians 2 where Paul says, "It is by Grace you are saved;" or 1 Timothy 1 where Paul admits that God shown him mercy so that the "worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his unlimited patience."

What do you think?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

It seems when people say all sins are equal, what they really mean is not the sinful behaviour but the inner condition of sinners.

On the secondthought, it seems to sin with the knowledge of the sin is greater than to sin without knowing it. It is hard to judge a sin according to the perceivable consequence sometimes, though.

Jose said...

hi Joe it's me Jose
I see your point on this but I don't see how this help someone? Like you said sin separate us from God. So how relevant is to know if you have committed a small or bigger sin? I do agree that the consequences are different but God forgives all our sins big or small. What am I missing?

Joe Gordon said...

Jose! Thanks for the response. I apologize for being unclear.

I have lots of thoughts. Allow me to present three of them.

1) It seems God's punishments or rewards are dependent upon the seriousness of our sins.

2) It seems that some are ambivalent when it comes to the seriousness of their sin since "God sees all sins the same."

3) When we encourage each other in our shame let's recognize the unlimited and unconditioned grace of God rather than lessening the seriousness of our sins. One view appears to lift up God while the other lifts up humanity.

Basically, I'm trying to look at it from a different perspective - one that's biblically and theologically accurate.

I have more thoughts about this subject, but I want to stay germane to the topic at hand; i.e. the gradients of sin.

Jared said...

i totally agree. this is something that has consistently come up in discussion and to be honest it shocks me that this thought it so widespread. what is more dangerous in my opinion is the weight that this logic carries into the life of the believer. to an unbeliever it is a theoretical issue because their sin, regardless of degree, is not forgiven; however, to the believer this is crushing! it breaks down the idea that growing in christ-likeness is a neccesary part of salvation. in a church that is overwhelmingly morally lethargic it is crucial to be challenged on this issue.

Jon said...

I like what you say here, thank you for opening my eyes to this. I wonder though, is there any way to know which sins are worse than others? Other than making broad categories like murder v. stealing, I don't know how to practically understand what is worse than what, or if it even matters. Is something like homosexuality way more sinful than something like stealing, or murdering? I suppose I am asking a question that is impossible to answer, but I feel that the argument you make could be used to alienate certain groups of people (I only bring it up because I have seen this happen, and it makes me cringe.) For someone to say, "your sin is worse than mine." Those statements are what make me want to believe that all sin is equal, although I know its not.

Joe Gordon said...

Jon! It's no doubt that this question of weighing sins is difficult. Perhaps we should determine their significance by the consequences they have on myself and others. For instance, there's obviously a difference between murdering someone and stealing a pack of gum. But of course this seems to boil down to situational ethics.

What do you think?

Jose said...

Well. I agree with Jon and this is where I fear the most. I think when we categorize sin then we fall in the trap of I'm better than you so I'm not as bad. Further more I feel that this will alienate people. Again I will think that the consequence of sin are more important to know than the grade of sin. But I guess you will know how bad is your sin when you riped the consequences.
So if I say " God's forgiveness is the same for all our sins " This would be more biblically and theologically accurate? or how would you word it?

Faint-Hearted said...

Ok...I disagree. let me ask you this. if all sins are not equal tell me what you think of Galatians 5:19-21; 19 The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.
Tell me how a sin like witchcraft and jealousy are in the same text. As you read this you may think, ok, im not a drunk, i dont participate in orgies and im not in witchcraft, but everyone had been jealous or envious, or been angry, so if these last three sins are not "as bad" as the 1st three, why are they all listed together in the same verse?
I do realize Murder and Stealing are not a part of this list, but we do know they are sins, because we were told not to do them, they were included in the same list as, Have No Other Gods Before Me..idolatry, or,Thou Shall Not Covet..envious.
If God Was going to waste his time comparing sins, he would also be comparing people..which we know he doesnt do..there is no race better in the other, the Bible tells us. God looks past the sin, hates the sin and loves the sinner, no matter what the sin is, the woman who killed her 5 children is loved by God just as much as a brand new baby who does not yet know right from wrong, because they are his creation. Just as a parent would or should love one child the same as the next, if one child stole some gum and the other killed someone, they both deserve the forgiveness of both sins, and love from parents, and to be treated equally, as we his children are.

Anonymous said...

Isn't blasphemy of the Holy Spirit the only unforgivable one?