Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Is the power in the Word?


I'm sensing two kinds of popular preachers today. The first are great story-tellers and fun to listen to. They often speak from a conviction about some social issue or theological misconception. Even though they're sometimes maligned for their negligible use of the scriptures, there is no doubt in my mind for their love for God and Jesus.

The second preacher is utterly convinced that the Bible is the Word of God and worthy of being expounded upon and applied. These men use verses and passages to exhort God's people into action or change. These men are maligned for being boring, irrelevant and unloving. I hear that their churches are small.

Over the last year I've had many opportunities to pray with people. I've noticed that most people sigh or groan when I use a verse within a prayer. They usually stay silent when I'm voicing to God my thoughts and opinions.

Thus, it seems that God's Word has a greater affect upon those who are living in the Spirit than a well told story or Christian cliche. Missionary zeal doesn't equate to transformed souls.

What do you think?

UPDATE: After further consideration, perhaps the Spirit uses both.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe,
This isn't a comment on what you wrote here, it is a question.
Did you put the astrological sign etc on your profile or was it done "to" you? I am curious.
Helen E
PS Dave O. told me I should start a blog, so I was checking out the idea... Love YOU! H

Kyle DiRoberts said...

My friend…I sure hope that you aren’t saying that the first kind of preacher is NOT utterly convinced that the bible is the Word of God and worthy of being expounded upon and applied…maybe this art of expounding can be applied in many various ways (creatively) and should not be limited.

Anonymous said...

I think that the most effective sermons and preachers utilize both methods. After all, Jesus used stories to illustrate biblical principals so there must be some merit in this type of preaching. Then again great stories with no biblical backing are just fluff and there is no meat. So, it seems to me that both methods are valuable means of preaching the Word and they are most effective when used together.

Anonymous said...

Do you mean popular in terms of number or attraction (popularity)?

I certainly agree that the spirit uses both. Truth is real whether or not it is seen in the church, and I think the spirit teaches much in unexpected places. And missionary zeal never equates transformed souls; that's the prerogative of the HS.

I think that the best preachers are ones who are walking so closely with God that they are able to invite others into that kind of intimacy with the triune one. These preachers are humble, have a vision for the kingdom and the process of spiritual transformation, and a heart for shepherding others. They're clean vessels.
Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

This addresses the question:
http://www.dwillard.org/articles/artview.asp?artID=106

Anonymous said...

I don't know if I am right, but I think that people seem to react more when God's Word is quoted in prayer because it is something that they themselve's can relate to if they are digging in to His Word on a daily basis and have hidden it in their heart as well as meditated on it in their mind.
When we voice our own opinions to God in prayer they are from our own mouth/mind/experience, but God's word is/should be something that all Christians can have in common. His word is so true. It cuts right to the heart and changes lives. I know this because it has done the same for me. May we continue to strive for more of His word.