Friday, September 01, 2006

Do pastors have a special relationship with our Lord?


I ran across this verse the other day. "In his right hand he held seven stars... the mystery of the seven stars that you saw in my right hand... is this: The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches..." (Revelation 1:16A, 20)

I've always interpreted this verse as angels who oversee or protect the churches, like guardian angels. Although recently I heard Chuck Swindoll interpret these messengers as the actual pastors of the churches. (i.e. messengers are preachers and vice versa)

Is it possible that pastors have some sort of vicarious relationship with Jesus that differs from the rest of the congregation?

As a pastor I find this interpretation to be very comforting. I sometimes enter the pulpit with intense self-deprecation. "Is God even using me?" This interpretation makes me wonder if Jesus, the sovereign Alpha and Omega, has my heart in His right hand; such that the sermons I preach, the vision I cast, and the discipline I impose all come with His authority.

See Matthew 16:19; Hebrews 13:17; 1 Peter 5:1-4; Matthew 18:15-18; 1 Timothy 5:17-20

3 comments:

A.PETH said...

hey joe, I think I've only met you once, talked to you once...okkkk maybe I've seen you twice...anyways ran across your blog....after reading it 2 things that stirred in my head (ok, maybe five things but I'm only going to put two),
1. pastors of course have a special relationship with our Lord...and i could carry on and on about it, but the first thing that came to my head was a car mechanic. Yes a general person drives a car and owns one, has their opinions about what models they like, which ones are the best for speed or style or safety...we understand that we need insurance and registration...but what does a mechanic understand and appreciate that others don't?
A lot.
Their hands get greasy and black on a daily basis (and do yours), their hands become tired (as do yours)...but when the day is over...and they see a young man pulled over on the 101, car broken down...they can chose to pull over too...get out...put their blackened hands to work, and eventually help the young man get home.
I think that being a pastor involves a lot of grease and blackened hands- and if your being used to get someone Home to see our Father...well...then...I think a special relationship is unavoidable.
2. those verses you put at the end of your blog actually answered a couple other questions I had -so thanks

Joe Gordon said...

Good point. I espeically loved your analogies! (I'm fond of analogies. Thanks for adding one to my repertoire.)

Anonymous said...

most likely, since they are anointed, but don't those with the gift of knowledge, prophecy and wisdom also have this special relationship?